Sunday, October 31, 2010

One Small Change: A Garden, Canning and Cleaning

I've been wanting to get our garden prepared since, well, since last spring, but I've been talking about it as part of One Small Change since August.  Finally, last weekend I staked it out.  Hubba decided he didn't like it and selected a different location.

I staked it out again and Hubba agreed.

This new location has no underground wires so we can start digging at any time.



Now on to official business: my One Small Change for October was to continue to can and freeze produce.


I added more apple butter and an awesome chunky apple sauce to my September stash.  I have one more sack of apples to process and potentially a few more apples on the tree.  I haven't checked them out since the freeze earlier this week.

I also acquired a food dehydrator.  I'm thinking about drying some of the apples I have left along with making beef jerky.

Learning to can and freeze produce over the last two months has been really fun and satisfying.  I feel I can handle most anything that comes my way next year.

For November, I plan to clean my ovens.  Blech.

Soon after I started participating in One Small Change, another changer wrote this post about her experience with home-made cleansers...  I really need to clean out my ovens, and I like the idea of home-made cleansers.  I  hope it goes well.

One Small Change

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cleaning my oven is something I rarely ever do. I would love to hear how it goes!
Suzy
p.s. I am going to link to this blog post over at one small change today :)

Kathryn Ray said...

When I had a self-cleaning oven, "I" did it about once a month, now that we don't have a self-cleaner, I haven't done it at all... so it really needs to be cleaned.

Thank you so much for the link

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I'm jealous of your apple sauce! I was aiming for that with our apples this year, but for some reason I ended up having to pick DH up from work that day so they were in the crockpot about 2-2.5 hours longer than intended and it became much more like a chunky apple butter. Still good, but I love a warm bowl of chunky applesauce with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :-)

I'm looking forward to your report on the oven cleaning. Last week I scrubbed the bathroom with baking soda and a couple drops of rosemary essential oil. It worked pretty well and I'm sure would have been fine if it hadn't been so long since the last time I had scrubbed it :-}