Friday, October 1, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday: My BFF Hat is Finished!

My Best Girl Friend stopped by a couple of weeks ago with her daughter to meet Apple and Bruce.  Bruce was hiding in the alfalfa, but they did get to meet Apple and a few of the other alpacas.


When we took a break from the sun, I made her try on her in-progress-BFF Hat.  I was feeling that it might be a little big, so I wanted to be certain before I started decreasing.

Turns out she loves it and the sizing is right.  So I finished the section and began decreasing... and now I am done.


The combination of this pattern, color and shimmer reminds me of moving water... like the ocean, but I'm afraid that I'm not skilled enough with a camera to show the true effect.

I really liked working with this yarn.  I will have to get some more merino/bamboo soon.  Since it has very little halo, I think it would be good for knitting a lacy pattern.


The idea for this project was born in June, yarn spun in July, knitting began in August and the hat was finished this week, in September.  It was quite fun going through a product development process for my own personal fiber project.  I have always been a product developer and love that I was able to use this process for my personal work too.

This post was prepared as part of Fiber Arts Friday.  Please take a look at the other wonderfulness going on via The Wonder Why Gal blog.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! Great job.

Ellen said...

I love that hat Kathryn. The yarn is lovely. Anything that reminds me of the ocean is tops in my book. Added to the fact that you actually spun the yarn! What a labor of love.
Thanks for stopping by my fiber arts blog, too. I appreciate it.
Have a great weekend.

WonderWhyGal said...

The hat turned out wonderfully! I'm glad she liked it. I'm so excited to start gifting the knitted items from my handspun.

You're friend is lucky to have been given this amazing hat that you put so much time and thought into.

Anonymous said...

The hat is beautiful! I remember when you posted about getting the fiber, and it's really great to see the finished product!

Jess

Kathryn Ray said...

Thank you all.

I am very lucky to have such a great friend.

She's only seen the in-progress version, unless she's read this post and hasn't commented on it. ;-)

I am giving the finished hat to her this weekend. :-)

AllyB said...

I love that hat! The yarn looks delicious and in such a lovely color. Have a great weekend!