Saturday, October 23, 2010

Roasting Turkey

Hubba and I used to get whole fresh turkeys from Keller's Farm Store in Albuquerque every 4-6 weeks.

Since we've returned to Colorado, we've had a challenge finding fresh turkey, let alone frozen ones.  I really haven't seen much other than at Thanksgiving.

So I've been asking around, hoping and praying that we would find a suitable turkey source.

In the spring, the chicken farmer at the farmer's market told me he had some turkeys that should be ready for Thanksgiving.  So I made a note and kept looking.

The boy who delivered our hay about a month ago told me the manager at the feed store raised turkeys and that they might be available for individual sale.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago at the farmer's market, the chicken farmer had a sign out that he had turkeys available.

He was embarrassed that they were a little big.  This was his first year raising turkeys and had gotten them a little too early.  I told him not to worry.  I desperately wanted farm-raised turkey and would take a big one.

It was there for me to pick up last Saturday and let me tell you, I got what I wished for...


... a 29.6 pound turkey.

Eek.  I didn't know if it would fit in my oven.  It certainly didn't fit in the refrigerator, barely fit in the sink and was way too big for my roasting pan.

But don't worry, I bought a (recycled) aluminum roasting pan, defrosted the turkey in the sink and roasted it earlier this week.

We've been having turkey sandwiches and tacos for days.  Yum-my.

As for the manager at the feed store?  I'm getting one of his turkeys next weekend.  I plan to save that one for Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! I'm drooling. I'm not sure if I can hold out until Thanksgiving. I might have to do a test-run turkey too ;).