Monday, October 4, 2010

Ravelry Rocks

I joined Ravelry about 18 months ago.  Soon after, I ran into my first Ravelry friend at the Airport in Albuquerque.  She was knitting while waiting for her luggage at baggage claim.

I was waiting for my luggage at baggage claim, because my knitting was in my suitcase.  I was interested to know if she had any issues bringing her knitting on the plane.  So I walked over and asked.

I had been travelling for a couple of months and had just started bringing my knitting.  I was certain TSA would not be keen on knitting needles passing through security, so I never bothered to check if they were allowed.  So this idea of knitting while on the plane and waiting at the airport would improve the quality of my life tremendously.

Since then, I have realized there is a wealth of patterns available on Ravelry, both for free and for purchase.  There is a tool inventory that you can print in pocket size.  There are groups, including the Tour de Fleece which I participated in earlier this year.

Like other networks, you can make friends on Ravelry and see what projects they are working on, or what projects they like.  You can make your own list of favorite patterns and designers which have been helpful when looking for something "just right." 

I understand there are groups where you can ask for help and groups that will de-tangle a skein for you, though I haven't used these yet.  I have also heard there are people willing to de-stash their yarn... aka unload some of the stuff that is taking over their space.

So when Hubba asked for a specific hat out of a specific yarn, I decided to look to Ravelry.

A short search turned up someone wanting to de-stash a few skeins of exactly the yarn I was looking for.  I sent her a note offering to pay for shipping, and within a few days the yarn was on it's way.

Yep, Ravelry Rocks!

If you're on Ravelry (join if you're not, it's free) look me up under Alpacamundo.

No comments: