Friday, September 9, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: New Normal Socks, part 2

Apparently I have not posted progress on my New Normal Socks since this initial post almost two years ago.

I did find some in-progress photos from about October 2020...

Toes/feet complete. Ready to begin the gusset.

Gusset is finished.

Then right about the time our move got into full swing, I realized the thicker yarn meant fewer stitches.  Which meant I did not have enough stitches to complete the heel in typical fashion.  I set this project aside to think about it... until about July of this year (2022).

Not only is winter coming and I would love to have a pair of thick/warm/hand-knit socks, but I also want to use these US3 needles for another project... So I sought to learn how to do an Afterthought Heel.

What I learned is these are called "Inserted Heels."  The ones I found are called Afterthought, Forethought, and Peasant.

Resources:

Louise Tilbrook - Afterthought Heel

Interweave - Inserted Heels; Afterthought and Peasant Heels

Peasant Heel Videos:


I really like the technique described in the second video...

Armed with the information above, I found some left-over black Cascade220 for the heels.  While it's not the same make of yarn, it is the same gauge and should look nice with my existing New Normal yarn.

I removed the gusset stitches and partial heel.  Fortunately I already had lifelines in place, so this part was easy.

Then I checked the length of the foot part of the sock against my ankle bone, using Louise Tilbrook's instructions above.  I needed to add ~2.5 inches.

With the extra ~2.5 inches, lifelines,

and and one row of pink waste yarn on the heel-side.

I will continue knitting the "tubes" until I run out of New Normal yarn, and then make the heels later.

I'm feeling much better now that this problem has a solution.  :-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

1 comment:

Linda said...

"want to use these US3 needles for another project" this is why we knitters have 5 bazillion needles, LOL! Great looking socks :)