Friday, October 30, 2020

Fiber Arts Friday: New Normal Socks

I was thinking that I would use my left-over New Normal yarn in my Scrappy Palindrome Scarf, but at 111g (3.9oz), there is enough to make a pair of socks.


I decided to make the simple Toe-up sock pattern that I've used a few times for Hubba.  I intend to work thru the rainbow New Normal Remnants while making two socks at a time.  I have considered it, but have not done two-at-a-time before.

First up is swatching...  The New Normal Scarf used US10 needles in Linen Stitch.  Since I'm making socks in stockinette, I want a more dense fabric.  I started with US6 (lower swatch) which is nice, but not dense enough.  So I made a second swatch with US3 (upper swatch), thinking it might be too dense for this yarn... but since I do not currently own any US4 or US5 needles, I wanted a clue before I ventured out to buy a set.


I think the US3 will work fine for this project.... and as a bonus, I don't need to buy more needles, during a lay-off, during pandemic!

After a few measurements and setting of Way Points, I cast on.  :-)


I cast on 15 stitches because I like a wide toe box.  It should have been an even number, so I added an extra increase on the outside of each sock, which means they now have a top and a bottom, the stitch marker indicates the top and the end of the round.

While working on this project, I need to remember to pay attention so the yarn joins are clean (no knots) and that the ladders are minimized on the sides of each sock.

Resources for Two-at-a-Time:

Top Down - Knitter's Pride
Top Down - Vickie Howell
Top Down - The Spruce Crafts
Toe Up - Very Pink
Toe Up - Kristin Belle

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: