Saturday, September 17, 2022

Dog Shows: Cheyenne Kennel Club, 2022

Next up for Wilma and me was the Cheyenne Kennel Club Shows over Labor Day Weekend.

They have moved from the Frontier Days venue to the new Archer Complex, just east of town.... which is very nice.  This was my first time at this venue.

The Reserved Grooming Spaces were sold out by the time I registered for the event... and unlike Greeley, there was not an Open Grooming Area available, aside from adjacent to the car.  They will be having more reserved and indoor open grooming at future events.

So Wilma and I planned to "show and go" and I tried my new pop-up tent to help with shade in the parking area.

Wilma is a happy girl.  She enjoys seeing her Dog Show Friends and moving in the ring.




But when she's coming into season, she doesn't want anyone near her back end.  This includes me, let alone Conformation Judges.  :-/

Her normal season begins in late-September/early-October.  So I knew it was coming, but figured we were ahead of the window.

You know where this is heading now, right?

She refused to let the judge look at her teeth on the first day.

Upon taking her home, we examined her mouth to ensure nothing was going on.  To which she allowed both me and Hubba to examine, thoroughly.  She also let our friends look at her teeth at the venue the next morning.


But again on Day 2, she would not let the judge look at her.


I am very happy that she backed away from the judges and was mostly her goofy self.

I asked to be excused both days.

Both days the judges were extremely kind, patient, and tried very hard to help Wilma feel relaxed.  I have not experienced this level of support and accommodation from a judge before.  I thanked them both... and decided to stay home for Day 3.

So long story, short.... Wilma came into season on Day 3 of the show.  This is one month early.

So her behavior makes sense.  It is frustrating, but it makes sense... and I'm extremely happy there's nothing going on in her mouth.

This also means that we stayed home for the Evergreen and Peak-to-Peak Working Dog Specialty shows last weekend and are staying home for the Roaring Fork shows this weekend.

This also means that all hope I had for getting her ranked and therefore invited to the National Owner-Handled Championship later this year is over.


I always say that each dog teaches us something different.  For Wilma, I need to be more aware of her season, and plan accordingly.

No comments: