Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Garden 2022, part 2

I did not spend much time watching the sun exposure at the new place over last summer.  The photo I shared last time shows the beds being quite shaded by Pine Trees.... though, I do remember it getting hot out there.

I finished compiling my Planting Wish List a few days ago and found my inventory and starting tools.

I organized the existing seeds into one container by planting date, and ordered the remaining varietals, which should arrive in a few weeks.

Personally, I want to be able to put up a lot of vegetables; especially beans, peas, corn, and tomatoes.  But I need to be cognizant of my available time, along with the other projects we expect to be doing this year.  So I will attempt to grow enough tomatoes for canning.... because Hubba says, "Life is too short to eat winter tomatoes,"  and the remainder will be primarily for our own consumption upon picking.

We have a "sun room" on the new house that I was planning to use for starting seeds.  It hasn't been as warm as I expected and it leaks water (the floor is wet from snow melting in January).   So adding that to the fact that it blocks the view of the back yard, it will be going away at some point... in favor of a proper green house and letting more light into the house.

In the meantime, I hope it will warm up as the days get longer, If so, I will start late-season seeds in here around the end of March.  If not, I will look locally for plants that have already been started.

Of the things the former owners did have planted, there were far too many Sunflowers, two extremely large Rhubarb plants and two Black Raspberries.

The Sunflowers will be pulled and given to the chickens if they find their way into any of the walk ways.

Rhubarb, while I enjoy it, is toxic to goats and chickens.  Both of which have access in the current location, so these will either be moved or removed over the summer.

The Black Raspberries were a special treat last summer... so I've been researching how/when to prune them because we definitely want these to continue.

I found a few good resources; Colorado State University Extension, Iowa State University Extension and The Coloradoan.  So it seems like February should be the best time for pruning... keeping 5-ish viable canes per plant at about 18-inches tall.

There is also an ornamental Pear Tree (in the background) and a prolific Crabapple Tree... so while I'm quite disappointed that this is not a fruit-bearing Pear, I will have to try out a few Crabapple recipes next fall.

To the extent that each growing season is a bit of an experiment, this year is absolutely that.

Happy Planning for Planting!

(...and we're happy to finally be having some winter!!)


1 comment:

Linda said...

New house, new garden, new plants, new plans. Very exciting!