Friday, February 4, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: Save Our Sheep Sweater, part 2

After deciding to join the Livestock Conservancy Save Our Sheep Sweater Challenge and selecting a Sweater Pattern last time, I took inventory of my SE2SE handspun yarns and compared that to some notes about suitability for purpose.

I took that list and added up the yardage for my suitable SE2SE handspun yarns.  With the initial review indicating that I likely have enough yarn for an appropriate-sized sweater for myself.

With that knowledge, I pulled the finished yarn out, organized by wpi, and selected the two middle groups which are 12 and 14 wpi (wraps per inch).


About a week later, I finished a long-running WIP and recovered my collection of US4 circular needles.  I then wound my selected yarns and organized by hand (perceived softness).

From R-L, they are coarse, medium, soft, and button band:

The Button Band will be Leicester Longwool since this yarn has a luster that is very different from the other wools.

I've started a swatch using the Jacob-American, since it is the heaviest yarn of the bunch.

I typically cast on 20 stitches and knit a few rows, but with both having two Q&A Sessions dedicated to swatches and a plea written in the pattern, I decided to make a complete swatch, which is 24 rows.... so far I am at about half-way into the swatch.  It appears to be wider than the prescribed gauge, but stitches per inch is about right.

This will require a little more thought once the swatch is finished, then I can finalize my plan.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: