Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Things That Work: Cleats

Years ago, when I was an Adaptive Ski Instructor in Santa Fe, NM, I remember strongly considering purchasing a pair of YakTrax cleats.

I didn't buy them then because I didn't have a frequent need for walking on ice, and I haven't felt a need in quite a while.... but now... at our new place... I'm on ice a lot(!).


It's hard to tell from this photo.... but that is a sidewalk with a hill leading up to it under very thick, very slippery, ice.  There is no gutter along the majority of roof-line.  The melting/re-freezing snow ends up on the walkway.


There is a short, damaged gutter on the left side of the building that essentially just pours water onto the sidewalk, on this side of the gate.  This will be a project to remedy over the summer, but in the meantime, I need to be able to walk here, safely.


While my snow boots are warm and water-proof, they are not meant for any surface beyond flat and soft.  So I set out to find a pair of YakTrax or other easily-removable cleats.


I ultimately chose the light-duty YakTrax Walk, model.

And can now handle the dogs and alpacas without having to focus on staying upright, which means it's safer for everyone.

These are, without a doubt, the best $20 I've spent in a long time.

YakTrax definitely work!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yea! We aren't getting any younger and we certainly don't bounce like we used to! LOL!