Friday, August 16, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: County Fair 2019, part 2

I did enter 4 items into the county fair, but not all were in my plan.

Top to Bottom:  Clun Forest, Navajo-Churro,
Black Welsh Mountain, Tibetan Mastiff,
Twined Tibetan Mastiff Mittens

The Twined Mittens are here.

The Copperbranch Shawl is not.  It's been too hot to work on something this large, and it's too big to travel with now, so it has had no work in the last several weeks.

The Clun Forest yarn is here, along with Navajo-Churro and Black Welsh Mountain... all of which were grown in Colorado.

My photo is not here.  I had it printed... twice.  It's not as good as I initially thought, so it was not entered.

There are four items are in two classes.  The Clun Forest, Navajo-Churro, and Black Welsh Mountain will be competing against each other in the same Plied Wool class.  The Tibetan Mastiff Yarn and Twined Mittens are a single entry for the Non-Woven Project using Handspun Yarn class.... and everything is in the Spinning and Weaving Department.

Everything was dropped off on Tuesday evening.  The judging occurred on Wednesday, and the Fair opened to the public on Friday.

As usual, Hubba and I went over on Friday evening.

The display is two glass cabinets, a wall, and a (new) free-standing frame.




The competition is fierce... our county has an active guild and is home to both Interweave Press and the Estes Park Wool Market.  Which makes any recognition I receive all the more special.

So I am very excited that my mittens were awarded Reserve Grand Champion!

Tibetan Mastiff Twined-knit Mittens

This means that they won 1st place in the Non-Woven class, against 6 other gorgeous entries, then won Champion of the Spinning Section, then Second place to the Grand Champion of the entire Spinning and Weaving Department.

The Grand Champion was a gorgeous, finely spun yarn with pearl beads.


It appears that each of my yarns also won ribbons.... I can't wait to see the judge's comments.  As usual, I am primarily interested in the judges comments.

Black Welsh Mountain

Clun Forest - I feel like the red ribbon was
left in the cabinet by mistake, since the
BWM also has a red ribbon

Navajo-Churro

... Now that I have everything at home, there wasn't much in the way of comments, but the judge did rank my skeins in the same order that I did.

L-R: Clun Forest, Black Welsh Mountain, Navajo-Churro

I don't know why there are two 2nd places, but the Clun Forest was awarded one more point than the Black Welsh Mountain.  All three of these skeins were entered in the same class and as far as I can tell, they were also judged in the same class.

Tibetan Mastiff Twined Mittens and Yarn Sample
So not only did my mittens win Reserve-Grand Champion, and a special award from Shuttles, Spindles, and Skeins (one of my favorite local yarn shops).... they received a perfect score!


Holy Cow!! I know they're not perfect, but wow.... this is my first perfect score.

Now I really have to decide what to do next.  ;-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

1 comment: