Friday, August 2, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece, 2019 - Epilogue




As I discussed last time, I did a crazy thing and joined two teams.... Chiengora and SE2SE.

Since I was on the road for most of this tour, I decided to do a weekly summary.... hopefully you haven't missed my daily progress log.  ;-)

Week 1:  July 6 - July 12

7 days of spinning.

I had more time than I expected for spinning before the TdF started, so I had finished the Black Welsh Mountain singles prior to the Tour and I plied all but 1/4 oz this week for SE2SE.

Plied Black Welsh Mountain

I also spent at least 15 minutes each day spindling Tibetan Mastiff.

Friday, July 12th was the first Challenge Day.  I didn't have any specific challenges planned for this year, so I spent a little time doing free-spindling.  I'm primarily a park-and-draft spindler, so I would like to practice this more... of course my yarn is nicer when I park-and-draft.  ;-)

1/8 oz of Tibetan Mastiff

Progress as of Friday: July 12:
Tibetan Mastiff (TM): 1/8 oz
Black Welsh Mountain (BWM): 5 oz plied
Time Spent: 7 days of spinning at least 15 minutes each
Challenge: 1 completed


Week 2:  July 13 - July 19

6 days of spinning.

Tuesday, July 16th was the first Rest Day, which I did not observe.  I had two very long work days planned, and there was a high risk I wasn't going to be able to spin on these days.  But I was able to spin every day this week, and had a couple of days that were closer to 30 minutes.

As a result, I added 3/8 oz to my Tibetan Mastiff spindle.

1/2 oz of Tibetan Mastiff

After completing the Black Welsh Mountain from last week, I started spinning my Jacob-American sample on Saturday and was able to complete 7/8 oz.

7/8 oz of Jacob-American

Progress as of Friday, July 19:
Tibetan Mastiff (TM): +3/8 = 1/2 oz
Black Welsh Mountain (BWM):  4 7/8 oz plied, washed and dried
Jacob-American:  7/8 oz
Challenges: 1 completed
Rest Days: not observed
Days Missed:  0 (net +1)


Week 3:  July 20 - July 26

6 days of spinning.

Monday, July 22nd was the second Rest Day. - which I did observe

Thursday, July 25th was the second Challenge Day - I did not intend to observe, but Ruby the cat was so excited to have me home that she rubbed her face all over my face and arms while I was spindling, so I think that counts.  ;-)


I also worked a little on the Jacob I started the week before.


Week 4:  July 27 - July 28

2 days of spinning.

I was out of town for a family event over the last 2 days of the tour.  I thought I might be able to get some quiet spinning time in before everyone else work up, but there are a lot of earlier risers in my extended family.  :-)

So I completed my 15 minutes each day... and one of the littlest cousins knew what I was doing.  He told me where he learned about it, but did not want to try it.  :-)


Final Tally:

The Tour Guidelines were::
  • Spin every day the Tour rides:  Saturday, July 6 through Sunday, July 28
  • Days of Rest:  Tuesday, July 16 and Monday, July 22
  • Challenge Days:  Wednesday, July 12 and Wednesday, July 25
My Goals were:
  • Spin every day the Tour rides for at least 15 minutes - complete +1
  • Make progress on both projects - complete
  • No challenges were planned - one completed
3/4 oz Tibet Mastiff
Black Welsh Mountain: plied 4 7/8 oz
Jacob American 2 7/8 oz

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: