Sunday, March 3, 2019

Seven Years

Today, my horoscope suggested I stop and reflect on the recent seven years.

I often check in with myself in the spring, but usually I am focused on what is still to be done.  So I figured this could be a good exercise.  I do think it's a good idea to stop to look back at accomplishments and progress.


Seven years ago today, was March 2012.

We bought our farm in October 2009.  Our Alpaca Herd arrived on New Year's Eve 2009 after being agisted for 2 years.  So in March 2019 we had been on our own farm for 2.5 years, been full-time Alpaca Farmers for 2.25 years and had Tibetan Mastiffs for 1 year.


We have since bred a fine litter, learned how to show dogs in conformation events, had several BOB awards and group placements.  We have been invited to the National Owner Handled Series all but one year.  We are recognized as mentors in LGD behavior, specifically as it related to Tibetan Mastiffs.


Fiber-wise my skills have improved dramatically, both in spinning and knitting.  I have received multiple awards at our County Fair and donated a piece for auction.


I've learned how to put up shelf-stable food....both water bath and pressure canning.

I built my shearing business up to a point to where I had no time off and have since reduced it so we could spend the spring working on other important things.

Both professional photographers and documentarians have visited our farm and I've had my own photos published.

I've learned a lot about merchandising and how/what I want Alpacamundo's retail business to look.  We dropped our very first order off at a mill which means we will have commercially-spun yarn available for sale next winter.

We've made a group of wonderful friends in our chosen location of Northern Colorado.

I supported Hubba while he pursued Paralympic dreams and we celebrated our 21st Wedding Anniversary.

In addition to being a farmer, breeder, and fiberista, I have been a consultant and an employee.  I have traveled a lot, not so much, and am currently travelling a lot.


While I have been laid off four times in the last seven years, I was able to return to building Flying Objects three years ago and am currently working on a super exciting project.

Certainly this isn't everything we've accomplished in the last seven years, and I am still longing for the day when I can focus on being a full-time farmer, breeder, and fiberista.  This has been a good exercise and puts me in a pretty good mood.

Happy Almost Spring!

No comments: