Sunday, March 31, 2019

Garden 2019, part 3

Now that it's starting to get warmer (today was gorgeous) and spring things are available in the hardware stores, I was able to do the first project of the season.... replace the whiskey barrels.

These two half-barrels were left by the previous owners of our house.


They were on our back porch, have had several things in them over the years, and were barely holding together.  So it was time for an upgrade.

I removed the chives (which are starting to sprout!) and added the remaining dirt to the vegetable garden.

I added ~50% alpaca manure to commercial top soil and mixed it together.


I put the new barrels under our rain chains, added the soil mix...


and replanted the chives.


I will add other herbs such as basil, rosemary, thyme, and cilantro once we're passed our last freeze in about a month or so.


It's time to plant the early season seeds in the vegetable garden, but the soil was too wet to work today.  Hopefully the sun and rain will coordinate to give me a good weekend working day soon.  Regardless, it was wonderful to be able to spend some time outside today, playing in the dirt, while wearing short sleeves.

No comments: