Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Basketball

I've been passed over a lot.

It happens to the best of us.  My guess is it that the further one is from the center of the bell curve, the more often it happens.  I haven't done any research, so who knows.... maybe I'm wrong.

But given my personal experience, and since this is my blog, let's pretend I'm not wrong.

I have the (men's) NCAA Tournament on the television while I'm writing this post.  It's a college basketball tournament that they call March Madness, in case you aren't into sportsing.

Image result for sportsing cartoon

I played basketball in middle school (7th and 8th grade).  I did not play after that because the "activities bus" did not go anywhere near our house and the practice/games didn't jive with my parents' work/commute schedule.

Then right before 11th grade we moved to a big city, relatively close to the high school I would be attending.  I decided that I would go out for basketball.

I did not make the team.

The reason I was given was that I had not played for the previous two years (9th and 10th grade).  So essentially, if I sucked as much as I presumably did, but had been playing for four years instead of having a break for two years, then I would have made the team.

Even as a stupid, teenage, girl, I knew this reason was BS.

I did go watch them play, once.  They lost that day.  I don't remember if they won any games that year.  There were only 6 or 7 girls on the team.  The teacher/coach never looked me in the eye after the season was over.

The reason I was given for not being selected to a team that not only sucked, but also didn't have enough players was complete BS and he knew that I knew.

On the flip side, the boy's basketball team at this high school was very good.  They were well supported, and always went to State.  They even won the State tournament in an undefeated season a couple of years later.  Families moved into our district so their boys could play on this team.  It was a public high school.

So several years later (ahem), I still wonder two things... (1) what was the real reason I was not selected for the team, and (2) what was the harm in letting me play?

How many times have you wanted to play and not been allowed to?  Have you ever prevented someone from playing?  What's the harm in telling them the truth?

It is still March.  Which means it is still Women's History Month.  Please do me a favor.  Make note of the (massive) coverage on the men's NCAA basketball tournament, and the (significantly less) coverage of the women's NCAA basketball tournament (which is also going on now.

Title IX was signed into law in 1972.  My story took place well after 1972.

Image result for title ix

We have a long way to go with respect to equality and opportunity.

I haven't decided if I will write about other times I've been passed over.

No comments: