Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Purl

This Pixar Short was brought to my attention recently via a LinkedIn post made by one of my colleagues.

I found it interesting and timely.  I was knitting with hand spun yarn and contemplating writing a post about this topic, but wasn't coming to a place that was adding value.

Then, I actually witnessed the middle part of this video in person... There was a large group of people on my flight, presumably from a large financial institution, given the logos several of them were wearing.  I had the opportunity (unfortunate, since I didn't have a choice) to witness their interactions.


They were loud, chauvinistic, and primarily men.  The few women with the group were equally loud and cracking the type of "manly" jokes displayed in this video.

The video is well done and only about 9 minutes long.  I think the topic is worth contemplation.

1 comment:

Katja said...

Hmmm. I'll be the first to admit that I'm smarting from a recent corporate diversity experience that went ugly, so I may not be in the right frame of mind to appreciate this. This short seems to be saying that it's incumbent on members of the oppressed group to enlighten the dominant group, and that the way to do that is to emulate the dominant group.