Friday, August 17, 2018

Fiber Arts Friday: Fiber Celebration 2019, part 1

Now that the County Fair is complete, I started thinking about the Northern Colorado Weavers Guild's Fiber Celebration.

I've been interested in entering this competition since the first time I saw their show in 2014.

I think the mitts I have planned will be a good candidate.

Since the prospectus won't be out for a bit, I put together a plan based on previous deadlines for the show.  I expect the submission deadline to be about February 15th, 2019 and photos of the work will be required.  So that means I need to be complete, washed and blocked well-before then.

As of 8/5/18: I have 27 weeks until the estimated submission date... and 8.5 ounces of gold to spin, 2 ounces of black to card and spin, and two mitts to knit using a technique I've never used before.  Piece of cake, right?

Being the Program Manager that I am, I put together a weekly plan with goals and progress tracking, working backward from the submission date.


If I spin an average of 3/4 oz each week, I should finish spinning by the end of Thanksgiving weekend, which will give me two months to knit two mittens.

This all seems reasonable.

I started by setting aside a 3/4 oz portion so I had a clear measure for how I was doing during the week.


Now that I'm a week and a half into my plan, I'm doing well.  I spun 1 ounce last week and am on track for this week.


I decided it was time to start a new single, so I caked Single #5 at 1-1/8 oz, and started single #6.


At the moment, my status is:
  • 3-7/8 oz in singles
  • 2 oz complete
  • 5-7/8 oz spun total
  • 7-1/8 oz remaining

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: