Friday, July 8, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: Estes Park Wool Market 2022, part 3

So with my homework having been (re)completed in March, I double-checked my supplies and tools for each class and spent a long weekend at the Estes Park Wool Market in June.

This was my first time taking a class at a Wool Festival... and I took two. :-)

I have attended talks and watched demonstrations before.... but it was really quite special to be able to focus two days on improving skills and knowledge.

Our new place is a little further away, but still extremely convenient for day trips to Estes Park.


Exploring the Drum Carder

My first class was Exploring the Drum Carder with Henry and Roy Clemes.

Prior to this class, I had only seen short demonstrations of carding in my initial Learning to Spin class.

I do have a second-hand half-sized carder that I have been using for several (11!) years, but now with this full-day class, I think my output will be much nicer to work with.

I'm looking forward to taking the next class in their series.

I also picked up a couple of tools that will help me use my old carder better.


Finishing with Excellence

This class was everything I was expecting.

Like the Carding Class, I have finished projects, but now I know a few more techniques to make those joins and weave-ins even more invisible.

We also spent some time talking about blocking techniques.

I truly enjoyed taking Paula's class.


Shopping

In addition to the tools listed above, I did buy some yarn and roving.

So while I have said that I generally don't like crazy dyed yarns, when I do buy yarn, it is often dyed.


I like that the colors at Estes were more muted than other markets I've been to in recent years (Yarn Fest, Stitches).  I especially loved the work of the Apothefaery.  Her work is very earthy.

I actually bought quite a bit of yarn this trip.... mostly because I wanted to pair against some out-of-character crazy yarn that I bought at Stitches West in 2019...


Aside from the last few SE2SE breeds (which I did not find) and the yarn to pair with the crazy above, I wasn't really looking for much.  However, I am always looking to add interesting or unusual fibers to my stash.... and per usual, Estes Park did not disappoint.... Valais Blacknose roving!


This ranch near me has possibly the first Purebred Valais Blacknose born (via embryo transfer) in the US.  This is quite exciting.

Valais Blacknose is a carpet wool, and should go nicely with some of the other stuff in my stash.  As I was leaving the shopkeeper asked what I would be making.... and I just said, "yarn."  :-)  I really don't know what it will become beyond yarn, but I am very excited to try it.

The second bag is Scottish Blackface, which is also a new breed for me.


Demonstration

Unplanned was a spinning demonstration.  Henry Clemes ask if I would be willing to spin on one of their wheels during the market over the weekend... to which I replied, "Absolutely!"

I spent about an hour on Saturday afternoon showing people how yarn works.  Really fun!!





Animals

I stopped by the Sheep and Goat Barn... One of these years I'll actually make it to the Cashmere Goat Show.  

Cashmere Goat Show Results

I spent a few minutes speaking with a Shetland Sheep Farmer who was getting ready to show.

I snapped only a couple of photos... none of which are composed well.  

Valais Blacknose

Jacob Ram

"Cashmere" Goats

There is so much more to see, such as Herding and Shearing Demonstrations, Sheep-to-Shawl Competition, Llamas, Alpacas, Paco-Vicunas, Rabbits, Food, equipment demonstrations, and talks.

I love that we are close to this excellent show and always look forward to focusing a little differently each time.  I especially love that this show is more geared toward spinners and not just knitters and crocheters.

Yes, I wore a mask the entire weekend... and will continue to do so.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: