Friday, April 22, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: Save Our Sheep Sweater, part 6

Picking up near the end of Section 5 of my Save Our Sheep Sweater...

I finished the Clun Forest yarn and started Navajo Churro.

My initial plan was to match the breed bands across both sleeves and the body.  But the more I thought about it, the more I think it will be too much to wrangle.  Thereby removing the fun and making it stressful instead.

So I decided to pull the Hog Island (yellow-ish) from the bottom of the plan up to the sleeves.  This should make the sleeves primarily yellow, and each of the breed bands thicker on the body.

Navajo Churro is a Rug Yarn

I have been back-and-forth on whether to include Navajo Churro in this project.

You can see from the picture above, that the color flows nicely....  from the sweater thus far in Clun Forest, to Navajo Churro (top cake) and on down the line.

Navajo Churro is more of a rug or outer wear yarn but as a primitive breed, there is a lot of variety between fleeces, and this one has a nice hand.

Navajo Churro

The experience of knitting with it is very different from the Clun Forest.  It was clear, even in the first few stitches, that there is not much spring/bounce.

However, with the intent to make a fully-informed decision, I knit two rows and then set the project aside to think about it.

Clun Forest with 2 rows of Navajo Churro

I am concerned whether Navajo Churro is appropriate for a knit sweater... and it's placement in the lineup puts it across the bust and into the armpit... where extra stretch and give would be favorable.

I may still find a way to use the Navajo Churro in this sweater, but at this point,  I'm all but certain I will TINK it out.

Until next time.  Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

No comments: