Friday, March 11, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: Save our Sheep Sweater, part 3

Continuing, very slowly, into my Save Our Sheep Sweater...

I felt like the slowest swatcher ever, but I have had to remind myself that there are a lot of other things demanding my attention... and I had no expectation for completing a sweater by the end of February.  ;-)

The good news is that there was no expectation by the Livestock Conservancy to complete this project by the end of February either (and given the date of this post, it has not occurred anyway).  It's just the formal support for the project ended at the end of February, but recent announcement has the private Facebook group open until the end of April.

Getting to a finished swatch took some time, and I am fortunate to learn that several other participates are at the swatching stage, while several others are in the spinning and dyeing stage.  :-)

This swatch was made of Jacob American, which is the heaviest guage of my lot and was finished at a tiny bit over the prescribed gauge of 5 stitches/inch with US4 needles and a little bit short at 3.5 inches.

The pattern suggested US7, which I am happy to learn thru the Q&A Sessions is not all that unusual to need to go down in size in order to meet gauge.

Looking under a variety of different lights, I've settled on the yarn order.  Knitting Top-Down, starting with Clun Forest.  Followed by Navajo-Churro, Tunis, Gulf Coast, Shropshire, Hog Island, Jacob, and Black Welsh Mountain.

The Leicester Longwool on the the left is for the Button Band.

So with all of that and my Measurements being complete, I've settled on knitting the medium size and then measuring length along the way.

This means I definitely have enough yarn made to complete the sweater... and can likely leave out the Black Welsh Mountain, which is the most coarse of the lot.

I would like to share that even though I have not been able to attend the Q&A sessions live, the recordings have been helpful.

Casting on finally occurred on February 20th.

While some of the participants have finished already, or are close to being complete, I am hopeful to finish this project during this calendar year.  We shall see how that goes.  ;-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: