Friday, August 27, 2021

Fiber Arts Friday: Shave 'Em to Save 'Em, Hog Island

Breed - Hog Island

In continuing my journey thru the SE2SE breeds, this one is Hog Island.


Slightly less than a 1-inch staple.


While this sample is extremely spongy, I find that it is drafting easily and feels quite soft.


Much like the Shropshire, there is a lot of vegetable matter (VM) in this sample.  I am picking out the larger pieces as I am spinning.

I'm curious if this yellow-ish color is typical.

VM aside, I'm surprised by how much I like spinning this sample.  It's so smooth/soft on my finger tips which I was not expecting.

I started spinning this breed in early August, hoping to have it completed between the two 2020 Tour de Fleeces.  But I did not finish spinning until December 2020, did not skein it until March of this year, and finally washed it at the end of July (7/20/21) in preparation for the County Fair.

This breed roving was sourced from The Ross Farm in Pennsylvania which is currently being worked by the 5th and 6th generation of the Ross Family.

It feels really good knowing that I am able to support a family-owned farm and conservation breeder of rare breed livestock.  :-)



Final Yarn: Hog Island
Single Duration: August 2 - November 14, 2020
Ply Duration: November 22 - December 6, 2020
Skein'd: March 20, 2021
Washed: July 20, 2021
ounces: 3.75
yards: 231, 2-ply
wpi:  
Ready to Submit:  July 22, 2021


SE2SE Status:
Total Breeds: 22
Breeds Sourced: 18
Breeds Spun: 14
Breeds To Go: 8


Months Remaining: 5 (12/31/21)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: