Wednesday, December 12, 2012

No More Christmas Tree

As much as I have enjoyed the smell of fresh greenery in the house and the gentle glow of small, white lights, I just couldn't leave it up any more.


It's two weeks until Christmas and our tree is dry and brittle.  I am paranoid about fire so it came down today.  :-(

I thought I may have been too anxious and got the tree too soon, but we cut the end off and soaked the trunk in water before putting it up in hopes of prolong it's life.  However, it wasn't taking up as much water as I think it should.

I'm surprised by how happy having a decorated tree has made me.  So I have been thinking again about getting an artificial one.  I know the aroma will not be the same, but the glow and adornment can be.

In the meantime, this one will be composting in my garden.

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

This close to Christmas, you could try a fresh potted tree. I think you can bring them in for 2 weeks without affecting it too greatly, so long as there is a sheltered place for it outside after Christmas.

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Bummer about the tree. When I first brought ours in - after a fresh cut - and set it in water, it didn't take the water like I thought it should. I watched it like a hawk for four days, until I was satisfied that it was taking water, before I let anyone put a single decoration on it.
I've heard other people having the same problem - perhaps it has something to do with the drought this year?

Katja said...

We have purchased our (cut) tree, but in accordance with family tradition don't put it up until Christmas Eve. I'll be interested to see how it holds up. Also as a matter of family tradition, it only has to last for 12 days (until Epiphany).

Carol said...

We used to cut down a beautiful tree every year up in the Santa Cruz mountains. It seemed such a waste to keep it for a few weeks and then toss it at the curb. We are now using an artificial tree and if we are away for a few days, we don't have to worry about watering it.

Spinster Beth said...

Just a suggestion ... fake tree, real wreaths? The wreaths should smell just like the tree.