Friday, December 7, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: Cute Baby Hat

My sister is expecting a little girl in a few months and I have been looking for just the right hat to make for her.

I had already decided that I wanted to use this yellow yarn.


I made Duck Feet for her son out of it a couple of years ago.

It's a super-wash merino and super-cozy.  I think baby-knits should generally be machine washable... I'm not a mommy, but I just can't imagine having to worry about hand-washing garments when you're looking after a newborn.

So you can imagine my excitement when I discovered this pattern by Chez of Monarch Place, in mid-November, on exactly the day I was wanting to start this project.  :-)

Her pattern gave me the opportunity to practice casting on and begin knitting in the round on dpns... it went much better than the last time I tried.


Chez had mentioned that reversing the knit and purls for the heart pattern might be preferable.  I didn't do it, but I think she might be right.... It doesn't matter though, I still love it.

The other thing I didn't do was use larger needles for the body of the hat.  I don't have the recommended size, or really any size close to what she recommended so I just kept knitting with the initial size.  I probably could have made some increases and added one more heart repeat, but I didn't think about that until later and did not want to rip anything out.


So in spite of me not following the very well written instructions, the hat turned out beautifully... and no one will know.  Er, well they baby won't know, but my sister might know... now.  Hi.  :-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday.

12 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

The hat is adorable, Kathryn! And congrats to your sister and her family!

Carol said...

Very cute little hat that I am sure will come in handy in the cold weather.

Vivian said...

What a cute hat! I'm sure the baby and baby's mom will love it.

About Christmas trees (yours is so pretty), what's your take on which one is more green, fresh vs. fake? I have been using an artificial tree for over 10 years, because I can't stand the idea of watching a live tree die a slow death in front of my eyes. But then I didn't grow up with a Christmas tradition, so I'm not attached to the smell of a fresh tree and everything comes with it.

Voie de Vie said...

Cute hat - and congratulations to everyone on the impending new addition. Oh, and dpns and I definitely have a rocky relationship. :)

MarmePurl said...

What a lovely little hat. Anything made with love has no mistakes!

Allison said...

OOOOOHHHHH! It's soooooo pretty!!!!! I love it! I think I might cry. Darn pregnancy hormones.

Cathy Johnson said...

What a cute little hat! I love that soft yellow, just perfect for babies. And yes, definitely superwash!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Kathryn it bacme so beautiful hat and the ribbon makes is so sweet! I love your Christmas tree also! x Teje

WonderWhyGal said...

ooooh, that hat is adorable and I love the color you picked. That yellow with the white ribbon is lovely.

AC said...

Awwww! The duck feet are so cute too. I've found the more dpns you use, the better. Maybe something about the angle they make, the less extreme it is the better. But I still like circulars better for...everything.

Unknown said...

Darling hat. Such a sweet gift.

Spinster Beth said...

It's lovely. Congratulations on your incipient niece!