Friday, July 7, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece, 2023, part 2

Before we get too far into this, let me mention how much I hate the qualification for the womens' version of events....

  • There's the Tour de France and the Tour de France, Femme
  • There's the NBA and the WNBA
  • At my High School it was the Lions and the Lady Lions
  • The PGA is apparently soon to not be a thing anymore.  There is(was?) the LPGA.  I'm not confident that the acquisition by LIV bodes well for women playing professional golf.

I'm sure you can think of many other examples... perhaps even many that are not part of sports.

This kind of labeling serves to de-value the female contribution... and every time I see it, it makes me sad... and a little angry.

So I am calling the Tour de France out as Hommes and Femmes.


For 2023:
Tour de Fleece, Hommes

Day 1: Saturday, July 1 - Stage 1
I spun up ~3g of Ramen Roving over ~30 minutes.

This is my first day spinning since well-before we embarked upon our home remodel last winter.  My fingers and ankles are definitely out of practice, but boy does it feel nice to be spinning again.


I'm also attempting to stay ahead with fiber preparation.... below is my second attempt at 100% TM Roving.  It came off of the carder better than my first attempt yesterday.  ;-)


Day 2: Sunday, July 2 - Stage 2
About 24 minutes of spinning today.


Day 3: Monday, July 3 - Stage 3
27 minutes of spinning today, over the lunch hour.


I really like how this is spinning up.

I am spinning from a near-pencil roving, prepared on my Clemes&Clemes carder.  The classes are paying off... and each batch I make is a little better than the last.  :-)


Day 4: Tuesday, July 4 - Stage 4
I finished the 8g piece started on Day 2/Sunday and added another 5g today over a couple of spinning sessions.


Day 5: Wednesday, July 5 - Stage 5
About 25 minutes during my lunch break today.


Day 6: Thursday, July 6 - Stage 6
I ended up using most of my free time today to do some organizing in my studio, but I did squeeze in about 15 minutes for spinning.



Counts So Far:
  • 1st Single in Progress
  • Spun 6 of 6 Stages
  • ~17 grams completed

My goal for the end of this event is to have at least 1 oz (~29g) of a 2-ply yarn to enter into our county fair early next month.  So far, so good.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: