Friday, June 23, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: New Tools, Drum Carder

Back in March of last year (2022) Hubba ordered a Clemes&Clemes Elite Crankless Drum Carder for me.

He talked me into the electric version, which I thought was extravagant.  However after taking their class Exploring the Drum Carder at the Estes Park Wool Market in June (2022), I am very glad for Hubba's insistence.

The manual crank is smooth and easy, but having the motor really frees the mind up to focus on batt composition.

Due to material availability, order backlog, and their show/travel schedule, we knew it would take a while for the carder to be built.  Then Henry called right before Thanksgiving 2022 to let me know it was getting ready to ship.

She arrived about a week after Thanksgiving, just as we were getting ready to move out for our remodel, so I didn't fully unpack her until recently... actually just after completing the next level Clemes&Clemes class, Adventures in Drum Carding at the most recent Estes Park Wool Market.

Can I just tell you how much I love this packaging?  


The packaging is carefully thought out and everything has a place.


It makes this engineer who appreciates LEAN Principles and Thoughtful Process and Tool Design very happy.  :-)

Perhaps even most important, is the well-documented manual, right on top.  :-)

I'm so excited to have this exceptional Carder... she's been on my To Acquire List for quite some time and I am even more happy to have completed our Maiden Voyage last weekend.  :-D


Once set up, I began with some washed Chiengora from our boy Ramen, who passed this realm about 18 months ago.


After 4 trips thru the drum carder, I have a uniform and aligned batt. :-)

I'm so excited to play with this tool more.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a great gift from Hubba! This will really make spinning easier.