Friday, June 9, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Inigo Socks, part 1

This project is being set up to test a few things...

  1. Record the actual time it takes me to make a pair of socks, using a new-to-me pattern.
  2. Gain experience with the Jamieson & Smith yarn on a small project before I embark upon a Fair Isle Sweater.
  3. Decide if a selection of this yarn is appropriate for next year's Sock Madness.
Given that this is a 100% Shetland Wool yarn, intended for Fair Isle Sweaters, I'm not certain that it will be comfortable in the next-to-skin situation as socks.  However, since it is intended for color-work, I think it will be interesting to work with.

The pattern I am using is called You Killed My Father, and is part of a set of patterns inspired by one of my favorite movies, The Princess Bride.


This pattern also provides a few other new things for me to practice
  • Top-Down Socks
  • Two Yarn colors
Status at the end of our Temporary Housing stay at the end of March 2023


At the end of a recent road trip, I had both legs completed.


The second leg took about 1 hour less to complete than the first.

I miscounted the rows on the heel flap, so I TINK'd out the Heel Turn and added the remaining rows...



I switched to dpns on the gusset.  It was a bit easier to manage this way...



Tried on the first sock after the gusset was completed... I think these will fit nicely...


While I work on the second gusset, I'll be thinking a bit more about when to start the toes.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: