Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year!

A dog show friend of mine posted this photo to her Facebook a few days ago.


Earlier that day I learned (second hand) that someone I respect thinks I am a kind and good person.

It's an incredibly humbling feeling to hear when people tell others that they think you are a good person.

Obviously, I try to be good and I think most of us try similarly...  but this doesn't mean that we don't make mistakes, myself, included.  None of us are perfect.

I truly think intention matters.  If the actions are done out of kindness, the action itself matters less.

***

I remember the moment I met this dog show friend.  I was still a novice show handler.  Gunnar and I had won Best of Breed and Owner-Handled Best of Breed at a large show in Denver.  The Owner-Handled Group was after the Regular Group and we nearly missed the ring call.

I met this friend as I lined up behind her after running across the venue and into the Owner-Handled Group Ring.  She was much more experienced than I.  I was so nervous and she was so kind to me.

At subsequent shows, she always asked how we were doing and often cheered for us outside the ring.

She raises another Livestock Guardian Breed, so we are friendly competitors inside the Working Group rings... and supportive of each other in the breed rings.  I have had the pleasure of helping her handle her dogs a few times.

***

The point of making this post today is to remember our intentions.  Which reminds me of a saying I heard a lot as a kid...


May your new year be full of kindness and blessings.

Happy 2020!

No comments: