Friday, January 17, 2020

Fiber Arts Friday: Looms part 2

Since deciding to add a portable loom to my tool set, I've been thinking about what to make first.

Obviously the first step is setting it up (just as soon as she arrives), but then the next first step is warping the first project, which needs some thought.... the final project determines the fabric construction, which determines the length and pattern of the warp.

Since I haven't done much weaving in quite some time, I need this project to focus on consistent beater tension and selvedges.

I don't really need any hand towels at the moment.  However they would be a perfect first project.... small and useful, but I don't have any cotton on hand anyway.  :-/

I do want to make a towel for my yoga practice, but that requires the cotton that I don't have... and determining cotton gauge is a little more difficult than wool or alpaca.  I have a specific idea for what this finished project looks like.  So this one needs some work before I can order the cotton.

I have a spool of Rayon that I bought years ago from a weaver studio sale in Albuquerque.... so I would like to use this as the warp of whatever the first project is.

I could use super-wash wool for the weft of a yoga towel, but again I don't have much and most of what I do have is now in my Scrappy Palindrome or planned for socks.

So I may start with a simple throw or scarf... I already have lots of scarves and small blankets, but they are something that I enjoy using and mixing up a bit.... so this might be my first project.

I need to think more.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: