Monday, April 23, 2012

Repaired: Clothesline

Filed under the category, "I have no idea what they were thinking" is the clothesline at our house.

First, the location is weird... right in the middle of the yard and set on a sidewalk that goes nowhere.


Second there was a plastic-coated wire for the line which was rusted and broken.


But since the posts are not easily moved, I decided to at least make it useful.

I found some cotton cord at the hardware store and Hubba helped me tighten the line.


I'm not certain how often we will use the line since we have livestock, some of our neighbors have livestock and we're very close to a dairy.  So sometimes the aromas are not what you want on freshly laundered clothing, but at least we now have a place to hang our stinky work-out clothes outside.  ;-)

6 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

If I were to make a guess, I'd say at some point a truck of cement was ordered and to use it up they decided it would be nice if the clothesline area didn't get muddy when it rained so opted to use up the load on that.

You are probably right about the smells. Though it will certainly do with your chore clothes and it is a great place to beat dog hair off of rugs and such before washing! You'll find ways to use it I'm sure.

Voie de Vie said...

I have to admit I had similar thoughts about the cement as the first commentor - I figured they didn't want to have to trudge through the mud while dealing with clean clothes. :)

The repaired line looks good!

Carol said...

Perhaps for avoiding a muddy area to hang clothes, but maybe it could be used by young children to ride tricycles, roller-skate, etc.?

MarmePurl said...

Ours is located in a strange place as well, quite far from the house. I can't figure out why. BUT...I can tell you that I have used it more than I thought I ever would. You new lines look dandy.

Kathryn Ray said...

It's true... a lot of concrete was used on this property. So either it was very cheap in 1974 or the builder got a great deal.

I definitely agree with not wanting to deal with mud while working with clean clothes, so that makes sense except the concrete only goes to one side of the line and they had a strawberry patch on the other side that we're in the process of moving.

Unknown said...

Good information because anyone need it to be tight and sturdy to support the hefty laundry loads of their demanding family. Rowan Turner Clothes Lines Services is totally agree with you.