Friday, April 13, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: Spinning Via Verde Alpaca

In December I was gifted 2 ounces of Alpaca-Tussah Silk from Tamara of Via Verde Farm.


After the VM-filled batt of Llama that I finished up in January, this pencil roving was especially wonderful to put on my wheel.

Have I mentioned how much I love spinning alpaca?  Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy... I really, really do.


I love the medium fawn color and the silk gives it a beautiful sheen.


If you're still wondering about how important the preparation is to yielding a nice yarn... the above photo shows the yarn straight off the wheel.  I have not set the twist yet... and as a bonus, there was not one spot of over-spun yarn.  That tells me that a good preparation helped me become a significantly better spinner.  :-)


It's even prettier after the twist has been set, even though it was a cloudy day.

If you have the opportunity to put your hands on some of Via Verde's roving (80% alpaca, 20% tussah silk), do it.  Your fingers will thank you.  :-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday everyone!

17 comments:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

So gorgeous - I love the natural fawn color. Perfectly balanced, too - there doesn't look like there is one bit of over/under twisted yarn.

Dutch Hollow Acres said...

Wow it did come out beautifully. Love the fact you kept it at a single ply and it fluffed up nicely after setting the twist.

Great job!

pinkundine said...

It looks gorgeous, I want to come and pet it!

MarmePurl said...

Alpaca and silk. Be still my heart.

Heather Woollove said...

How beautiful! I think a bit of silk really adds something special!

Anna said...

That is gorgeous!!

Katja said...

Oh, it's beautiful!

Melissa Plank said...

I have had the pleasure of spinning some of this blend myself from Tamara, you're not kidding, it practically spins itself!

Vivian said...

What a beautiful yarn! I can just imagine how nice it feels running through your fingers.

Jocelyn said...

Nice singles! Still, prepped or not, your fingers did a wonderful job.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It sounds and looks absolutely heavenly. Pencil roving is my favourite to spin, it goes so fast

AC said...

Wow, you're a master spinner!

WonderWhyGal said...

That is some beautiful yarn!

Voie de Vie said...

oooh, ooooh - it's just mahhhvelous. :)

Via verde Farm said...

Thank you! Thank you! Your compliments are greatly appreciated~ I am so glad you enjoyed the fiber. You must take credit for a beautifully spin skein!

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I really want to pick up spinning. One day.

AllyB said...

I recognize that fiber! I've got some too. Tamara's alpacas are so very nice. I'll be attending her shearing on the 12 of May. Bunch of spinners getting together at her farm that day. Wish you could join us. Have a great week!