Friday, April 20, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: Knitting is Good

Over the last few weeks, I've been suffering from Fiber-y Mojo-itis.

As frustrating as that can be, I have decided to just let it be and focused on a few other things like fiber collectionspinning some alpaca and began ripping out my Old Awesome Sweater.  These were all productive fiber-y tasks but not really creative tasks and certainly they're not mind-intensive tasks.

They were the sort of tasks that allowed my mind to be free.  Which created space to allow for inspiration.  I now have a couple of ideas rolling around, but I am keeping my expectations low.

Spring is a busy time with getting the garden ready for planting, preparing for shearing our own alpacas as well as client alpacas.  So there isn't much time for fiber-y creation anyway.

That being said, I have cast on (for the 3rd time) my first Challah Sock.


Thank you all for your encouraging words after the huge rip last month.

I have only been working on it at Knit Night. So this is the result of a few weeks, of a few hours, of non-focused knitting time.  Be sure to notice that it already has a life-line.  :-)

Right now I'm happy.  I have a good balance of productive fiber-y time and mental space to allow some things to percolate.

Many of you said the sock would go faster.  Which it seems to be.  Some of you said that knitting is good and it's more time with the yarn, so enjoy it.  Which I am.  :-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

13 comments:

Vivian said...

Good luck on the second time around! Love those cables in the pattern (surprise, surprise :-)), are you roasting pumpkin seeds while knitting the sock?

I didn't know about the photo limit thing. My blog started in 2006, and I think I have a Picasa account too, I think ....

Unknown said...

I love the sock!! Sometimes you just have to rip things out and start again. It will be so much better this go around.

Voie de Vie said...

You seem to have done exactly what you needed to do - and lookie at that lifeline. :)

Farming is lots o' work - no matter the century!

Kathryn Ray said...

@Vivian - Pepitas are a common companion to Challah? I didn't know that, but it does sounds good. :-)

Kathryn Ray said...

of course now I see that Kristi has paired pumpkin seeds with the sock pattern. :-)

Carol said...

I can sympathize; my energy for knitting ebbs and flows and there always seems to be other things to do like cleaning up our yard from last winter's snow.

WonderWhyGal said...

Aw, I hope you find your fiber arts mojo and these socks turn out right this time.

Jeanny House said...

I lost my knitting mojo for several months, maybe longer. Oddly enough, a friend tipping me off to Fiber Arts Friday has helped bring back both my knitting mojo and my blogging mojo!

Memo Box said...

My crafting mojo comes and goes. Your sock looks lovely.

Anna said...

This kind of made me choke on my nightcap: "Be sure to notice that it already has a life-line." Ha!

Andria said...

Like most creative processes, I don't think you can rush knitting, or the urge to knit. It comes when it comes. I'm loving that sock, and whole pumpkin seed thing is making me chuckle!

Via Verde Farm said...

Balance is good. And it you can be more productive when your mind is settled. Love the sock! I hope you have good weather there and can sit in on the porch, relax and soak in some sun while you knit and/or spin!

Unknown said...

This is an absolutely beautiful sock pattern, and you'll appreciate them so much more when you know that double the work went into them! Best of luck in finishing them!