Friday, July 19, 2013

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece 2013, part 4

It's the end of the third full week of the Tour de Fleece.  Only a few more days to go.

Friday, July 12


Saturday, July 13

Sheared alpacas in Wyoming today, then spun for about 90 minutes.


Sunday, July 14

Sheared for two new clients today.  Not certain I'll get to the wheel... ok maybe just 5 minutes.  ;-)


Monday, July 15 - Rest Day

I didn't realize today was a rest day, so I spun for about 30 minutes before going to work.  I've said this before, but it really is a nice way to start the day.


Tuesday, July 16


Wednesday, July 17

We had a baby.


I managed to spin for 5 minutes too. :-)


Thursday, July 18 - Challenge Day

I decided to attempt to drop my new drop spindle... I was parking-and-drafting last week.  My first spindle is quite heavy at 3 ounces and will spin for a reasonable period of time.  But with it being so heavy, I've been nervous to spin some of my more exotic fibers.  So I found two much lighter spindles at the Estes Park Wool Market last month.  I've been using the heavier of the two to spin the Romney Lamb/Alpaca blend and have not been able to get it to spin for any length of time while dropping.  I thought it might improve as I spun more yarn, but so far, nada.  So at this point I don't know if it's my skills (possible) or the roving (also possible) or the spindle is just too light (not likely).

Old-Heavy on the Left, New-Light on the Right

But I had to go back to my old, very-heavy, 3-ounce spindle to get any dropping action.  ;-/

I'm down to 4 5/8 ounces of Cotton left... which means I spun 3/8 of an ounce this week.  Pretty sure I won't finish the Cotton this Tour since there are only a few days left.  ;-)


But I am ahead one day since I forgot that Monday was a "Rest Day."

Happy Fiber Arts Friday.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the baby and dog photo! So sweet. Good luck on finishing out your TdF 2013.

Melissa said...

Have really enjoyed your posts on the Team Wonder Why Alpaca. Hope you post your finished yarn there if you don't get it finished by the end of the tour....if not...please put it in a your blog.

WonderWhyGal said...

One day I want to come to a farm you are shearing and help. I love that you are a shearer and that your business is becoming more successful each year.

Voie de Vie said...

Ply the cotton, ply the cotton ... :)

MarmePurl said...

So fun to see the progress. But remember to REST dear lady!

Cathy Johnson said...

The cria and the dog pic is the sweetest! I'm sure they will form a beautiful relationship. I so find changing spindle makes a difference, I guess the knack is knowing which spindle is best for which fibre ;)

Kathryn Ray said...

Thanks guys. I love the cria and puppy pic too. :-)

@VdV - I AM planning to ply the cotton. :-)

@MarmePurl - you are correct my dear, I must remember.... and then actually do it.

@Melissa - me too.

@Cathy - I think you're right

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Congratulations on the baby! Great that you were able to get some spinning in..I know how busy you have been..