Monday, November 26, 2012

On the Holidays and Being an Introvert

I love the Holidays and I come from a large family... as in 25 people were present for Thanksgiving Dinner and 4 were not there.

Then Friday we had dinner with Hubba's extended family.  A dinner party with 14 people... and at least another 5 or 6 were missing... assuming I am counting correctly, which I may not be.

Now a few of these people were counted twice... since they went to both parties, but you get the idea.  Lots of great food and loud, boisterous, happy people.  I love our families.  I love spending time with them, but as an introvert, it can be quite exhausting.

Large groups of people has always been exhausting to me.  Large groups of people I don't know is terrifying to me.

Fortunately I know most of the people we were eating with over the weekend, so it made meeting the few new ones easier.  :-)

Saturday afternoon was for my Boring Time as Hubba calls it.  After more than 16 years together, he knows when I need to decompress and go completely inside.... as in inside my head.

I did some yard work, reading, writing and a little knitting.  I even had a nap.  But I was not much for conversation... even with my very favorite person in the whole world.  Poor Hubba.  I'm glad he appreciates my need for Boring Time.

I feel recovered and ready for the next round of festivities.  There is a baby shower, a birthday, at least a few Christmas celebrations and possibly a little Hanukkah coming up over the next few weeks.

Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

Spinster Beth said...

Have you ever read the ten myths about introverts? There's a line in there about being overwhelmed by a lot of people and preferring small groups ...

http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

I tend to be that way too!

MarmePurl said...

Such a creative term...Boring Time! We all need it.

Unknown said...

oh I do boring time too, but I didn't know why until now. Sometimes even after a big day of meetings at work I don't feel like talking either :)

oak haven alpacas said...

I call my boring time "poop therapy". It's when I go scoop up alpaca poop and get lost in my own thoughts. I find people don't usually find me to bother me out there :) I also go running. I went for a 4 mile run Thanksgiving morning, to calm down before the big family gatherings.

Cara