Sunday, January 2, 2011

Things that Work: Salt Water

When I was a kid, my mom used to insist that I gargle with warm salt water when I had a sore throat.  I hated it.  I hated it so much that I wouldn't tell her my throat hurt until it hurt so much that I couldn't stand it.

Today though, I am older and wiser.  ;-)

Warm salt water is a cure for many ails.  I use it in a Neti Pot most days and gargle with it at the first hint of a sore throat.

For example, I woke up (very) early Thursday morning with a terrible sore throat.  I pretended it wasn't there and tried to go back to sleep.  After an unsuccessful hour, I got up and prepared my gargling water... warm, not hot, stirred in a teaspoon of salt, took a mouthful, tipped my head back and gargled.  I gargled a few times and attempted to sleep again until it was time for work.

I still got an awesome cold that has had me sidelined for most of this New Year holiday, but I do not have a sore throat.  :-D

1 comment:

oak haven alpacas said...

We always had to do the salt water gargle too. In fact, my mom would not let us use cough drops unless we did. I hated it, but it sure did lessen the severity of a cold (if not completely get rid of it). As I got older, I too learned what a great ailment reliever it is.

Cara