Monday, January 17, 2011

Three Seasons of Raw Alpaca Fleece

I have three seasons of raw alpaca fleece in my shop.

There.  I said it.  I feel so much better.  :-)

I have three seasons of raw alpaca fleece in my shop, waiting to be turned into something wonderful.

Why? You ask.

I have very good reasons why.  Ok, I don't know that they're very good reasons, but they are reasons.

The first year, I did not have enough fiber of any one color to meet the minimum requirements for the processors I found.  I had a total of 10 pounds of fiber and did not want all of it combined into one roving.  The resulting color would have been mud.

This fleece has been skirted, but alas has remained packed in boxes for more than two years.


The second year, we were in the process of moving.  So I boxed up our harvest and put it directly into storage with most of our other stuff.


Last year, the third year, I have been on the road a lot.

Now with three seasons of fiber ready to be processed, I can meet the minimum lot requirements on most colors.  I just need to get the rest of the fleece skirted so I can send it out for processing into yummy roving.  Of course in order to do that, I need to build a skirting table first.

No comments: