Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Garden 2020, part 10

My garden has sustained damage due to hail and extreme heat, but we have also had small harvests so far... mostly onions, spinach, and chard.


Most of the transplants have not survived, so several have been replaced by directly sowing into the outside garden.  I think I will wait to do any more seed starting until I have a greenhouse... or at least a different house with better light.  ;-)


There were a good amount of cherries (that the birds enjoyed) and only about a dozen apples that I can find.


Our neighbor brought over duck eggs from their family farm... so pretty and delicious.


The melons and squashes are all looking good so far.



The onions and rainbow chard have been delicious sauteed with mushrooms and the spinach has been enjoyed raw.


I've gotten some use from the tiny herb garden... in here are rosemary, basil, winter savory, and chives.


The rabbits ate my peas and fava beans... :-(  But I'm still holding hope for tomatoes and corn.



For future reference, I think my garden needs to be in the dogs' territory, but protected from the dogs and alpaca, in order to keep the rabbits out.

It does look rather pathetic from this point of view, but rest assured, we are eating from this garden.


No comments: