Friday, June 26, 2020

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece 2020, part 2

This will be the first Tour de Fleece where I have two wheels.  It will also be the first Tour where I have mill-prepared roving from our farm.  So I am planning to keep two wheels busy this year, one for Shave 'Em to Save 'Em and the other for our farm product.

It's pretty wild.  I've been spinning a lot over the last few weeks and have completed three yarns that I expected to be working on during this Tour.  I'll talk more about them some other time.

So here's my plan for this Tour de Fleece.

The first is the Mill-Ends Roving (Huacaya+Tibetan Mastiff+Shetland) that I already started.  I have 42 grams remaining in this sample.


I also have Huacaya+Tibetan Mastiff, Huacaya+Shetland and Huacaya only, but since I've joined the Chiengora Team, I will prioritize the Tibetan Mastiff blends for this tour.  These yarns will be worked on my Clemes&Clemes wheel.

For my original Louet wheel, I'll continue working on my Shave 'Em to Save 'Em initiative.  I have six breeds in queue, so I will not run out during the next three weeks.

Usually my goal is to spin just 10-15 minutes or 1/2 inch each day of the tour, but this year my intent is at least one hour each day, 30 minutes on each wheel.

Both yarns on the Louet wheel (left) have been completed since this photo was taken.

I'm toying with the idea of making some "art yarns" on the challenge days.  I have some carded Tibetan Mastiff that isn't planned for anything, so I feel ok if this fiber gets messed up.

There's still time to sign up if you want to play.  The Tour starts tomorrow!

Tour de Fleece Dates
Begins: Saturday, June 27
Challenge: Sunday, July 5
Rest: Monday, July 6
Rest : Monday, July 13
Challenge: Thursday, July 16
End: Sunday, July 19
As mentioned last month, the Tour de Fleece, is easy to do remotely and individually, so it is moving forward using the dates for the original Tour de France.  The 2020 Tour de France has been postponed to August/September.  If this does indeed occur, there will be a second Tour de Fleece this year.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: