Friday, November 1, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Modern Wheel

I test drove a sample of the Clemes & Clemes Modern Wheel at the Estes Park Wool Market earlier this year.  It was the most smooth wheel I have used.  So I instantly knew I would have one.... someday.

Hubba encouraged me to buy one, but I didn't want to make a decision so quickly...  Spinning Wheels are not inexpensive.

But I couldn't get the wheel out of my head... I thought about it all the way home.... then I dreamt about it.

The wheel was still consuming my thoughts in the morning.... so I convinced Hubba to go back to the Wool Market on Sunday so we could order one.

Henry Clemes designed the Modern Wheel in the 1970s.  It comes from a single sheet of plywood and uses every bit.  There is no drop... no waste... only sawdust remains once the wheel is complete.

The treadle has a heel-toe action, so it's not a double-treadle, but it's not like the other single-treadles I've used either.... and I love the simple utilitarian look.

Several months later, I picked up MY new Modern Wheel at a LYS where the Clemes & Clemes team were teaching a class last weekend.


I started with a some carded Tibetan Mastiff... since I have a never-ending supply (!), I don't have to worry about ruining any of my purchased roving while I get used to my new wheel.  ;-)


I still love my Louet, but she may not get too much attention for a little while.  :-)


Happy Fiber Arts Friday!