Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Things that Work: Outlines

When I was in middle school learning to write the 5 paragraph essay, I remember the teacher talking about outlines and how important they were.

Outlines (List) 작성법

It was something I had a difficult time with.  I hadn't yet figured out how to step back and see the bigger picture or the long game of any particular project.

Later in High School, I took an exploratory/creative writing class that helped a lot.  But writing term papers with a formal outline was still a problem for me in college, until I took a technical writing course and an introduction to computer programming course.  The flow charts in the programming course coupled with the bullet points in the tech writing course opened a big world for me.  Realizing that brief thought statements could communicate and capture ideas was profound.

Subconsciously I started making outlines everywhere.

Not necessarily in the formal format, but very much in the big picture, big points, and supporting points perspective.

I build my Gantt Charts in this fashion, as well as my presentations, charters, contracts, and system requirements/compliance documents.

Now that I'm home, the book, blog, and class ideas are coming fast.  So outlining the ideas and making space for exploration is helping a lot.

No comments: