Friday, October 4, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Shave 'Em to Save 'Em, Lincoln

Image result for lincoln longwool sheep
source: Lincoln Longwools Sheep Breeders Association

Lincoln Longwool - I have spun this breed before.  At first touch, this roving reminds me of Navajo-Churro, but it has a less course and more silky undertone to the handle.  I love the luster.


Upon beginning spinning, I'm struck by how white this roving is.... it's screaming white!

And Longwool is right!  This sample is has a 7-inch staple.


According to the Livestock Concervancy, the Lincoln is one of four English Longwool breeds; Cotswold, Leicester, Lincoln, and Wensleydale.  They are currently listed as Threatened, meaning that fewer than 1000 sheep are registered in the US each year and that the estimated global population is less than 5000.

Cotswold and Leicester are also on the SE2SE Priority List.  I have recently sourced them, so they are now in my queue to spin.  I have some Wensleydale locks in my stash too, so I will be spinning it at some point in the future.

According to the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, Lincolns can be traced back to the Roman Empire.  Lincoln is a sturdy wool, and appropriate for hard-wearing uses such as outer garments and upholstery... and in my opinion, the luster is quite wonderful.


This is one of the four rovings sourced from Aspen Kid.  I know I've said this a few times now, but feels good knowing that I am supporting conservation breeders of rare breed livestock.  :-)

Final Yarn: Lincoln
Single Duration: August 30 - September 21, 2019
Ply Duration: September 21 - 22, 2019
ounces: 4
yards: 203, 2-ply
wpi: 17
Ready to Submit:  September 29, 2019

SE2SE Status:

Total Breeds: 22
Breeds Sourced: 16
Breeds Spun: 6
Breeds To Go: 16

Months Remaining: 27 (12/31/21)

No comments: