Friday, August 26, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday: WIP List Vanquished

Last May I listed seven items that were on my WIP List.  I complained that it was too many and that I wanted the list completed or dispatched before I started anything new.

With the exception of the Paco-Vicuna that I started spinning during during the Tour de Fleece and washing some Rocky Mountain Goat, I held to my word.  :-)

Spinning Black Huacaya Batts of Wonder - Complete


In a surprise (even to myself) this is complete.

I spun one bobbin prior to the Tour de Fleece, half of the second bobbin during the Tour de Fleece and the second half of the second bobbin since the Tour de Fleece concluded.  Then, I apparently hit a whole new level in my spinning and spun two bobbins in two days.

I'm all of a sudden spinning a much better yarn, faster.  The last bobbin only had one small bit that was over spun.  :-)

The final result is four skeins for a total of 850.5 yards and 17.25 ounces.

All four skeins have had a bath and are now drying.  Yay!

Spin Tibetan Mastiff - Complete


I spun this up during the Tour de Fleece and sent the yarn off to our breeder.  She loves it and is bringing more fur when she's at a nearby dog show in a few weeks.  :-)

Recycled Wool Nightcap - Complete


I resolved the hugeness by sending it through the washer and dryer with a load of towels.  It felted and shrunk and is now quite soft and nearly fits.

The Simple Scarf - Frogged


I never really made it much past what this photo shows because I had re-started several times as I showed the ladies at the office how to do different things.  I still like the idea of having a simple red scarf around, but this one isn't going to happen any time soon.

A Baling Twine Doormat Dog Toy - Modified and Completed


The original was given to the puppies to play with in May.  It was subsequently tossed out after Noodle's emergency surgery.  This was not the reason for the surgery, but I did not want it to become the reason for a second surgery.

I have since found a S (super honking big) hook and plan to start the Doormat again.  Although I will make a swatch, because the hook really is super honking big.

A Blanket - Frogged


I decided to frog this blanket.  I think the needles are a little small for the yarn.  Another half or whole size up would be better.  Also, I recently realized that I don't have enough yarn on hand to complete this blanket and frankly, I don't love the yarn enough to buy more.

The Twitter Knit Along Shawl - Completed

 
As I said last week, I'm pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.  My mistakes are there and visible, but not so visible that the garment is un-usable.  :-)

Spindling Paco-Vicuna - Completed


This was not on my list last May when I said I wouldn't start anything new, but I needed a fiber to travel with during the Tour de Fleece and wanted to work from a roving.  The final result is 1 ounce of Paco-Vicuna at 120 yards.

It's interesting to realize that this has really been a traveling project.  I have spun this at home, at a park, in the airport, on an airplane, in a hotel, at a friends house and at the office.

Processing Raw Rocky Mountain Goat - in progress


This is a new project as well.  I will tell more about how it came into my life another time since I haven't spent much time working on it yet.

Elevation Profile Scarf - in progress


I was a good girl and did not cast this on until after the Traveling Woman was in the block and there was literally nothing on my needles. :-)

So here's the score:
  • Began - May 20, 2011
    • 7 Projects in Work
  • Ended - August 26, 2011
    • 6 Completed Projects
    • 2 Frogged Projects
    • 2 Projects in Work
Now I'm off to check out the other Fiber Arts Friday posts and do my best to keep the WIP's at a small number. :-)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You are very inspiring! I need to go through my WIP's and either frog or complete them. I need a good swift kick in the pants though. LOL!

Keri said...

Well done. Sometimes frogging is the only way to go. I really need to start putting aside more spinning time. It suffers in my house.

WonderWhyGal said...

and I thought I was productive...holy paca poo, you've been a busy lady.

I can't believe that you got all of the huacaya spun up. Now...what are you going to make with it?

Tamara Miller said...

Amazing!! I cannot believe how productive you have been!! I am amazed at all the work you have done. I like the idea of this blog. It is nice to share your WIPs. Organizing and photographing your works is sort of like a wedding reception --gives closure! :)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Congratulations! Your spinning looks gorgeous (as do you other projects). Love a puppy picture too, although I am guessing they are much bigger and not puppyish now

Kathryn Ray said...

@Dawn - one swift kick coming your way. ;-)

@Keri - I really hate the idea of frogging something I've started. But I think it's better to accept defeat than to have something languish forever.

@WWG - I can't believe I'm done spinning either. The destined project though, is a Surprise. :-)

@Tamara - I do like the closure of it. I really like your analogy of a wedding reception. :-)

Kathryn Ray said...

@ALittleBitSheepish - yes, the puppies are 80lbs-ish now. I really should do an update for them soon.

Voie de Vie said...

Yup, those S crochet hooks are super "honking" big. :) I particularly like the spindling paco-vicuna. That looks like 120 yards of pure spinning gold.

Yes, doggie update photos, please. And how's the cria watch?

Anonymous said...

Wow, way to go! I especially love the handspun, the shawl and the nightcap!

Spinster Beth said...

Wooooooooooow I am so impressed! What a lot of FOs! Now think of all the new projects you can start ... !

Unknown said...

Wow! Congrats on sticking to finishing up your wips! They all look amazing.

oak haven alpacas said...

That is so impressive!

It must feel great to have worked through your list. I'm so unorganized at the moment I don't even had a list together. That would be a great place to start.

Cara

pinkundine said...

Wow, you've been busy! I seem to keep adding more and more WIPs, think I need to try and finish some before I start anything else!