Friday, August 5, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday: Traveling Woman Shawl

I started the Traveling Woman Shawl as part of a Twitter Knit Along way back in January 2010.  I knew it was above my skill level at the time but the Twitterinos were very helpful.  I was able to make a lot of progress but alas, my lack of skill caught up with me and I shelved this project back in March 2010.


I finally picked it back up at the end of June right before the Tour de Fleece started, aka 15 months later.

I enjoyed knitting Chart A and was happy.  The pattern was making sense to me and going well.

Now that I'm on Chart B, I am unhappy.  I have 5 rows to go and my yarn supply is dwindling.  I'm not certain I have enough to finish the pattern, but frankly I've decided that I don't care.

I don't like Chart B.  I don't know if it's the formatting, my splitty yarn, the lace or the fact that I can't talk and knit without making a mistake or getting lost, but I am not enjoying it.  I don't feel like I'm reading the stitches right, but when I hold the work up, it looks ok.  So who knows?  Maybe it's fine.


This pattern has become much more about finishing than anything else.  Which makes knitting not fun.  Of course it's also been hot and humid and I'm knitting with alpaca... it IS summer by the way.  :-/

So, I'm gonna enjoy the cool morning with a cup of coffee, then check in with the fabulous Fiberistas over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder because you know, it IS Fiber Arts Friday.  :-)

11 comments:

Dutch Hollow Acres said...

Well it does look lovely. I know exactly how you feel about the "just get it done" feeling. Sucks and takes all the fun out of a project.

WonderWhyGal said...

oooh, I totally know that "just get it done" feeling. It's looking lovely even if you are not sure. If you run out of yarn maybe the edge can be a contrast color to let one of those subtle colors pop? You will make it lovely.

Melissa Plank said...

It's such a pretty pattern, great knitting, you'll love wearing it when the chill of fall and winter set in.

Vivian said...

Maybe it's the angle of the picture, but do the arrows in the left column line up? I love the yarn, it's going to be so pretty when you are done.

Kathryn Ray said...

No. I think you're right. I made a mistake in the middle of the second chart A. Looks like I captured it on film er, in bytes.

Spinster Beth said...

Just remember, one person's small shawl is another person's excellent neck scarf! I do love the pattern.

AllyB said...

Don't give up. Lace work always looks like crap until you block it. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Melissa said...

Hang in there...it will be worth it in the end.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

Kathryn Ray said...

@AllyB - I hope you're right.

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Kathryn--It's so disappointing when a project just feels 'leaden' part way through. (It's like if you've ever gone to have a perm done at a salon, and you know you're stuck there after the roll-up, and know you can't
'escape'!) :) I agree with Andrea that maybe another color of yarn would make the finishing more enjoyable...but honestly, if you really want to, you can give yourself permission to put it back into the WIP pile for another go later! XXO-

Fiona said...

What a shame that your lovely knitting has become a burden! I know I can't wait to have my cardigan finished but am struggling to do the band and sew it up ... and it's almost spring so I need to hurry! Hope you find the joy again!