Monday, July 5, 2010

Preparing to use my Drop Spindle: Selecting Roving

As I mentioned yesterday, I will be using a drop spindle during part of the Tour de Fleece.  That part begins for me in about a week.

Technically I have used a drop spindle before, but only because we had to in my Spinning 101 class a couple of years ago.  I have absolutely not used a drop spindle since then.

Now I do understand the purpose for starting with a drop spindle, but it was very challenging.  There's a lot going on when you're learning new skills.  Even after we moved to the wheels, it took me a while to understand "drafting" and thus to be able to spin something that looked like yarn.  Eventually, I "got" it and can now spin a consistent yarn.

I enjoy spinning with my wheel, but I have been wanting to try the drop spindle again. Only, I have been afraid.  I would see the drop spindle in my office and remember the horribleness I created with one of it's brethren in my class.  It's almost as if the sweet little thing was taunting me... Why are you afraid of me? I'm just a simple piece of wood.  Mwahahahaha.


So I decided this year's Tour de Fleece plus a trip out of town was the perfect reason to overcome my fear with the drop spindle.  Which means I have to decide which fiber I should use from my stash.

I will not use the Paco-Vicuna, Yak Down or Cashmere/Tussah Silk.  These are all too wonderful for me to stand the thought of messing them up.  I will use something else until I am comfortable with the drop spindle first.




I will not use the Angora Rabbit or Milk fiber.  These are very slippery and I think I should choose something that will be easier to spin.



I could use the Navajo-Churro or Jacob roving.  Both of these are heirloom wools are more coarse than anything else I have.  I'm am very interested in comparing these two wools and have the beginning of a plan for the Jacob wool.



I could use the green cotton.  I have close to 7 ounces of this roving.  I thought I had two colors, but it turns out I purchased the same color twice.  Since I have so much, I could afford to mess up a little, but with the staple length being so short (~ 0.5 inches) I might want to try something a little longer.


I will most-likely use the Wool/Mohair blend.  I have already spun two skeins of this wool, so I have a pretty good idea of how it will spin.  I also have about 12 ounces left of this roving, so I wouldn't feel too bad if I messed some of it up.

3 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

So many beautiful choices...I can't wait to see what you produce.

Allison said...

Are you going to make something for Jacob with the Jacob roving?

Kathryn Ray said...

Maybe...