Friday, August 4, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece, 2023, part 6

This week we are finishing out the womens' race and wrapping up the entire event...

Day 28: Friday, July 28 - Stage 6
Today is the last day of spinning singles in this Tour.  I will begin plying tomorrow.



Day 29: Saturday, July 29 - Stage 7, Challenge
Today, the challenge was just to get everything done... as per usual.  ;-)

The single weighs 18g.


and I began plying.  This is going quickly, so I think it will be easy to finish tomorrow.


Our farm is/was the backdrop for a photo shoot this evening for an upcoming Crochet Collection.  I'm excited to see the result.


Day 30: Sunday, July 30 - Stage 8
I finished plying yarn #2.


Will wind off later today.


Counts at the end of Week 5:
  • 1st Single is complete: 40 g (1.4 oz), 137 yards.
  • Second Single iscomplete: 19 g (0.6 oz), 61 yards.
  • Zero cashmere has been spun.
  • Spun 21 of 21 Stages for the Mens' Race and 8 of 8 Stages for the Womens' Race.
  • 56 total grams or 2 ounces and 198 yards of 2-ply Tibetan Mastiff was completed


Epilogue
I did not watched any of the Tour de France coverage this year.  I'm a little disappointed, since I enjoyed it last year... but alas, other things took priority.

I did complete two 2-ply yarns made from Ramen Pencil Roving.  The Pencil Roving allowed me to spin a smoother yarn that I have been able to in the past.  This is all due to my improved tools and skills garnered during my recent Drum Carding Classes.

I'm impressed with how similar the two skeins look next to each other.  Especially since the one on the left has been washed/blocked and the one on the right has not yet.

I have a possible project in mind for this yarn, which calls for ~700 yards.  Therefore, if I'm able to spin a reasonably consistent yarn, I will need to spin ~206 total grams of it.... aka another ~150g/500yds.  So maybe this will be a loose goal for the next several months.... something to think about.

I continue to hope to be able to do a more dedicated tour in the future.... but for this year, I'm very happy to have been able to spin for each of the Stages and to have accomplished my simple goals.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: