Friday, August 11, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Inigo Socks, part 2

Since Part 1, I've been working on the Inigo Socks and keeping track of the actual hands-on time it takes for me to make a pair of socks.

These socks took a total of 22:02 and 21:33... or 43 hours and 35 minutes to make the pair over ~4 months.  

There were periods where I worked on them nearly every day and other periods where they rested for several weeks.

The second sock took less time, because I knew how far to go based on the measurement and record of the first.

Depending on where I was in the sock, each round took between 3 and 6 minutes to complete.


Of course some mistakes, aka Design Features were made.  For example, as I was nearing the end of the second gusset, and starting to organize for the next project, I realized I used US1 dpns for the gusset and US0 circulars for the remainder of the socks.  SMH.

The result is that the socks are less snug around the ankle, which, I think, is a good thing.

I also modified the toe section to be shorter, since I prefer the toe box to be wider.

These were my goals and interests upon beginning this project:

  1. Record the actual time it takes me to make a pair of socks, using a new-to-me pattern - ~43.5 hours
  2. Gain experience with the Jamieson & Smith yarn on a small project before I embark upon a Fair Isle Sweater - Complete.  The sweater quantity is already in my stash.
  3. Decide if a selection of this yarn is appropriate for next year's Sock Madness - Yes, but the Shetland is very "grabby" so it does not frog well.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: