Friday, May 10, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Rill Scarf, part 5

My Twined Gunnar Mittens are beyond the point where they are suitable travel knitting.  So I've been bringing my Rill Scarf along.

This project was started in 2016, and last posted about in 2017.

I go back and fourth between loving it and not.

  • I think using a larger needle would have given more drape to the fabric, but I intend to block the finished scarf severely.
  • I think I should have tried harder to do the lace panel, but I really wanted a no-stress project when I started this one.
  • Due to a lot of guard hair, the yarn is scratchy.... really, it's a very poor example of alpaca...
  • And the color, while I love medium fawn on the alpaca, I don't love it as much in this project.  I am thinking about dying it.  I've not done any dying other than tie-dying t-shirts as a kid.

But it is an ideal project for travelling.


  • It's compact for working on airplanes.
  • The rows are short and the pattern is simple.
  • There is just enough variation to feel like I'm making progress... especially since this project has been going on for such a long time.

I've just started the second skein, and think this will ultimately take close to three skeins.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: