Saturday, September 29, 2012

Introducing: Alpacamundo's Pearl

Today was a much warmer day, with a less dramatic story.

Hubba was working with the dogs and Holly this morning while I did the regular chores.

I saw that Kocoa was feeling uncomfortable and was cushed off to the side, away from the commotion of puppies and cria.  I didn't think too much of it since I was not expecting her to deliver for at least 3 more weeks.  She's the reason that I'm not joining Hubba on his trip to Japan at the end of next month.

I did give Keyla an exam this morning to confirm she was not likely to deliver today.

Hubba and I then went to the Farmer's Market, came home and checked that everyone was still ok.  I layed down to take a nap since the dogs had kept us up most of the night and then Hubba tells me "there's another one."

In my half-asleep stupor, "Another one what?"

He said "A white one!  There's a white alpaca running around the corral!"

Queue Cartoon Head Shake

I jumped up and ran outside.  He was already to the corral.  I yelled "Whose is it?"

He said, "I think, Kocoa's, but I"m not sure yet."

Sure-enough, Keyla is still very pregnant and Kocoa has a beautiful little white girl.  :-)


As I mentioned, she was already up and running around when we found her.  She is warm, dry and has been nursing.  This is a much more typical birthing experience... at least from the human side.  ;-)

We're feeling very blessed.  Two healthy girls in two days.  :-)

Pearl is very likely out of our grey, Smokey's Bandit at Pastoral Profits, but may also be out of our light fawn, Blue Mesa Yoda.  Enchanted Sky's Kocoa Moon is her momma.  Pearl is Kocoa's fourth cria.

Happy Birthday Alpacamundo's Pearl.  Welcome to the world.  :-)

9 comments:

MarmePurl said...

Yes indeed. Welcome to the world Pearl and Holly. Scary, exciting, fun stories. Great job Kathryn.

Claire Davenport said...

Aw, I just love their little fuzzy faces! Glad Pearl was a less stressful arrival for you :)

Racheal - Maven in training said...

Oh my gosh too cute!

Voie de Vie said...

Congratulations! Pearl is a sweetie too ... and I love how Hubba is all smiles in the background. :)

Your new girls will definitely donate wonderful fiber.

Natalie said...

Oh Kathryn, they are so so beautiful!

Chez said...

So cute! I love alpaca's and always wanted to breed them myself.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the new babies!

Kathryn Ray said...

Thank you guys. We're pretty happy around here. :-)

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Thank you for sharing all your new babies with all of us! They are so beautiful.