Friday, July 8, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece 2011, week 1

Today is my first instalment for the 2011 Tour de Fleece.  :-)


I decided to start this Tour with the Tibetan Mastiff Fur I carded in April.  I am giving the yarn back to our breeder.  So even though she said she's not in a hurry for the yarn, I feel like it's been too long.

She would like this yarn to be thick, and I want to practice thick.  Therefore I am planning a thick, two-ply yarn and two TdF goals are now underway.

Saturday, July 2nd
...and I'm not "feeling it."  :-/  This is my first time spinning dog fur and my first time spinning from a batt that I made.  I'm feeling like I should have waited to try this on the challenge day.


Sunday, July 3rd
It took a little bit of time, but I think I have my mojo back. :-)  Of course this yarn is not thick. :-/


Monday, July 4th
I'm about half-way complete with the first bobbin.


Tuesday, July 5th
I wasn't really in a spinning mood today. I was much more interested in playing in my garden.  So it's a good thing I gave myself the goal of a half-inch per day.  ;-)


This is going very slow, so I'm feeling like I will be spinning Tibetan Mastiff for the entire Tour right now. ;-)

Wednesday, July 6th
No spinning accomplished. :-(

Thursday, July 7th
Finally, I have made some visible progress.  :-)  Two half-batts to go and then I will be half-way complete with the Tibetan Mastiff fur.


So that's the end of week 1.  Be sure to check in on the other Fiberistas over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.  Many are also participating in the Tour de Fleece and have spun up some beautiful yarns.

10 comments:

Melissa Plank said...

I think you'll be surprised at just how chunky your yarn is, once it's plied and washed, I bet it will be the perfect thickness! I wish I could reach through the screen and get a idea how soft the fiber is.

WonderWhyGal said...

I agree with Melissa. That yarn will bloom once you get it off the bobbin and washed. Love the 1/2 inch goal ;-)

Dutch Hollow said...

Oh I just hate it when I get out of sync with my fiber. Often when I'm not feeling "it" I have to set it down for a few days and wait for just the right mood to try it again.

AllyB said...

That single looks very interesting. Are the individual fibers quite thin? You'll have a nice halo to that yarn when you're done I think. Hang in there, you'll be proud when you're finished and the recipient will be happy.

Voie de Vie said...

Ok, this mastiff fur is very intriguing, especially if it has a halo. I can't wait to see it once it's washed.

Vivian said...

This looks like a challenge indeed. I like the way the yarn looks so far. Spin on!

Melissa said...

Oh boy, I admire your persistance. I've never tried spinning dog hair.

Will be awaiting the final yarn pics.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

Spinster Beth said...

Does it have a short staple length?

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It looks great, does it smell of dog?

Kathryn Ray said...

The staple length is about 2 inches.

I don't know what the fineness is, but I will try to get a photo of the TM fibers against alpaca for a reference next week.

Regarding the smell... it doesn't have a strong odor. Not at all like raw wool does. I have not washed it yet. So now that I've had time to work with it some, I think washing prior to carding would let the fibers draft a bit more easily.