Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fruits, Vegetables, Weeds and a Bug

I've spent many hours over the last few days weeding my garden.  It finally looks like I'm cultivating fruits and vegetables instead of weeds.  :-)


Yes, I do realize there are still a lot of weeds.  ;-/  But I do like these wide shots since they allow me to see the garden changing as the weeks go by.  That huge plant to the right of center is a cucumber.

Most of the plants have fruit on them.  Check out these tomatoes.


I had planted 9 Roma tomatoes in hopes of having enough to make and can sauce this summer.  So it looks like we are finally on our way.  :-)

The beets are supposed to be ready to harvest, but Hubba wants them to get bigger.

Most of the squash plants have fruit er veggies (?) too.  I think we will be able to harvest a few zucchinis and yellow straightnecks this week.

Here are a couple of squash blossoms for your viewing pleasure.



I harvested some basil yesterday and made pesto from scratch for the very first time. :-)  I would share a photo, but we put it on a pizza with grilled chicken and ate it all before I remembered to fetch my camera. It was delicious.  :-)

I found several of these guys while I was weeding. I think they're soon to be cicadas, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?


Finally, while I was weeding my garden this weekend, I was daydreaming about having a booth at the Farmer's Market. giggle.  It sure would be fun.  :-)

8 comments:

Voie de Vie said...

While I can't help you on the cicada ID, I can say those romas sure look like they're going to be good once they ripen! And I'll definitely be looking for squash photos. :)

WonderWhyGal said...

Yum, yum! I love garden fresh veggies minus all of the hard work. I give you major kudos for tackling the weeds.

Spinster Beth said...

Oh dear, I think that's a grubworm ... not good! Google "picture of grubworm."

Kathryn Ray said...

Eew. Beth, I think you're right. Those look like grubs. Maybe I can borrow some chickens from my neighbor. ;-)

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Kathryn,
You are the WINNER of my blog giveaway for June. Please email your mailing address; so I can send your package out to you. My email is paulaparrish@comcast.net.
Smiles, Paula

Julie said...

I used to have a tee shirt that said "So many weeds so little time" and that's just what I feel like right now. Your garden is growing much faster than mine. We just had to much snow into June!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Kathryn, I'm over from Paula. Congratulations on winning her giveaway! I see that you raise alpacas. That's cool. They have such cute faces. Your tomatoes look fantastic. It must be wonderful to have a garden with all those veggies. Have you ever tried preparing filled zucchini blossoms? Very yummy!
xoxo,
Julia

Kathryn Ray said...

I have not made stuffed squash blossoms before, but having lived in New Mexico for 13-ish years I'm almost certain I've eaten them before.

It's a great idea, I will have to give it a try.