Friday, October 29, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday: Crocheted Balls

The other day my sister sent a photo of a crocheted cat toy.  She thought it was super cute and wondered if I could make one.  She said, "It's just a ball.  It can't be too hard, right?"

I'm not a huge crocheter.  But there are a couple of patterns I really want to make that are crochet.  So improving my skills has been on my list for a while.

I decided that I should be able to make a couple of crocheted balls and found a pattern for a hackysack.

I went to my stash and found this bright cotton left over from a weaving class I took a while back.


Here's the result of my experiment:


I think they're a little big and heavy to be a good cat toy.  I filled them with dried lentils so they feel very much like the hackysacks of my younger days.  ;-)  I bet they'd be pretty great filled with lavender.

I wonder what we'll see today at Wisdom Begins in Wonder... it is Fiber Arts Friday.

9 comments:

AllyB said...

A great little project. Will you be attempting smaller ones for cat toys later?

Melissa Plank said...

Those are cute, your cat will love them. Mine used to flip around a beanbag lizard.

Ellen said...

Very cute! I am having a hard time getting into crochet. I think I should probably take a class or at least try to teach myself. How did you learn?

Inspiration Fibers said...

Great project! It makes me feel very guilty though that I haven't gotten around to making my son his hacky sack. Maybe tonight. Thanks for the kick in the pants! :)

WonderWhyGal said...

I love them!

Ok, I have a feeling that I should try crochet again. Everywhere I turn I'm seeing it.

Kathryn Ray said...

@AllyB - I will definately try to make smaller ones, I imagine it would be just a few less increase rounds.

@Ellen - my mom taught me to crochet when I was a kid, but I haven't done much since then. These hackysacks were really easy, just single crochet, increases, decreases and youtube video reminders for how to do it. Super easy!

Unknown said...

Love them. I'm a big fan of hacky sacks... used to make them all the time. Just a word of caution... if you get the ones with the lentils wet enough, they will be gross. Ha! Great to see more people diggin' more crochet stuff too! Thanks for sharing.

Allison said...

Your nephew will love them. He likes anything ball like and especially likes hacky sacks.

Jb said...

That's a great idea! Those would make a great little room freshener if you DID fill them with Lavender! Kids and pets could play with them and they would never even know that they are helping to make the house smell better!